So, last year I did some extensive work in designing and playtesting a tabletop game called StarSpeed 17. I even got to the point of developing a bunch of art for it before I ultimately scrapped the project. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but I knew the game wasn’t as much fun as I wanted it to be.

StarSpeed 17 was basically an evolution from Mille Bornes, a vintage auto-racing card game from France. The basic mechanics were simple but problematic – it was always too easy to disrupt your opponents and too much of a challenge to make progress toward the goal. When I was developing StarSpeed 17, I came up with some pretty good fixes for the mechanical problems, but I don’t really think they made the game any more fun. It was challenging for the players, for sure, but there just wasn’t the sort of nail-biting excitement I was looking for.

I put the game aside for a while, but it’s always been in the back of my head to keep working on it, and I’m starting to feel like it’s time to give it another look. I’ve come up with a near-complete revamp of the movement mechanic, getting away from the card-based movement and moving toward a dice-based system reminiscent of another vintage racing game, Formula D. I’m also planning on adding in system stats for each ship, to add more variety and strategy for the players to work with. I’m still going to keep the modular board system, though I’m revising that as well so that the board sections are larger than before. This will make the track configurations less flexible, but easier to set up.

With any luck I’ll be able to set up a play test for the new rules in a few weeks, and will post the results here. Keep a lookout!



Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail